Diablo 1 Hellfire Mod Diablo 1 HD Hellfire Mod - Awake
Diablo 1 Hellfire Mod - Forum Awakening Mod

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thought I'd Give Sprite Drawing a Go...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diablo 1 HD Hellfire Mod - Awake Forum Index -> Codename: Tchernobog alpha
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radicool

PostPosted: 12 Jun, 2017 11:03    Post subject: Thought I'd Give Sprite Drawing a Go...

I was bored and decided to see whats involved in recreating sprites with improved detail. I guessed the resolution up-sizing at x2.4. I can't believe how time consuming it is to create a 100 x 100 pixel image, yet alone finishing the next frames. The below barrel had about 8 frames all up! I only drew 1 frame Smile

I'll admit it's not as 'dark' as the Diablo atmosphere demands and could use a little more detail on the lid. I tried to get the color pallets as close to the original as possible. I spent about 1.5 hours on this. Maybe if I knew what I was doing this would be quicker?

Who else has made Sprites before?
BrightLord

PostPosted: 12 Jun, 2017 17:16    Post subject:

Nice work but your approach of the problem is wrong. Very Happy

Animations in diablo 1 are not drawn by hand.

All game objects as well as level graphics were created as 3d models. After that they were rendered at correct angles into bitmaps and then paletized.

Resolutions of all game objects are rather low so these 3d models did not require high polygon count and nice textures.

I believe a skilled 3d artist could produce such models without that much effort.

Very Happy
Raz0r

PostPosted: 12 Jun, 2017 18:45    Post subject:

radicool i really like that barrel
Keep up the great work!

Tchernobug:lvl53 barbarian,lvl43 Rogue,lvl41 Wiz
Belzebub: Just simply one lvl 60 rogue
radicool

PostPosted: 13 Jun, 2017 3:51    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies. How is recoloring achieved in the game? For example there are yellow and black zombies. The ground tiles can be red, blue and gray. We're the models skinned normally, then passed through a filter which changes the hue of the whole texture? Or does the texture have a special layer where the custom color is applied to so only certain parts of the texture are recolored (similar to Warcraft 3)?

Warcraft 3 style - Only part is recoloured

Whole texture recoloured (looks like I can see a red color here for the blood, so perhaps the entire texture ISN'T recolored. There must be a base texture applied to the model before the recoloring is performed).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diablo 1 HD Hellfire Mod - Awake Forum Index -> Codename: Tchernobog alpha All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: